Measure File Readability
Premium Subscribers get access to a whole host of specialist readability tools, including file scoring and bulk scoring, from as little as $5 per month!
- File (Word Docs, PDFs, etc) Scoring
- Unlimited Text Readability
- Bulk Text Readability
- Bulk URL Readability
- Readability API
"I use readable.io's bulk processing tools to help maintain the quality and readability of my website"
Matthew Skilton, Appointment Reminder
Premium subscribers can measure the readability of text files, including Word docs and PDFs, as well as bulk scoring spreadsheets of text and URLs! Results are returned in a spreadsheet within minutes.
File Types Supported
- Word doc and docx
- CSVs of Text or URLs
- HTML / Web pages
- Plain text and rich text (rtf)
How to Measure The Readability of a File
- You can upload almost any type of text file to Readable.io for scoring.
- A list of some commonly supported files is on the left.
- If you want to check if a particular type of file is supported, please get in touch.
- For each file you want to score, simply upload it using the simple upload form on the File page.
- The file is then handed off to our file processing system.
- First, your file is converted to plain text (see right), and your document structure is used to determine what is and is not a sentence.
- Next, the file is scored using our normal scoring processes.
- Finally, the results of your upload are written to a CSV file and made available for you to download.
Scoring PDFs and Word Documents
PDFs and Word documents are not all created in exactly the same way, and this can make it difficult for any piece of software to really understand them.
For each document we process, we convert it to plain text through a series of filters designed to improve the underlying structure of a PDF or Word document. This process improves the scores of the majority of documents, but not all.
To see the exact text we actually scored, please click on the text file icon under the "Tools" heading in the results table.