Score a File - Words Docs, PDFs and More
Premium Subscribers get access to a whole host of specialist readability tools, including Word doc and PDF scoring, from as little as $5 per month!
- Unlimited Text Readability
- File (Word Docs, PDFs, etc) Scoring
- Bulk Text Readability
- Bulk URL Readability
- Readability API
"A really great tool for writers who care more about clarity than flourish."
Patrick O'Shaughnessy, Investor
Premium members can measure the readability of text files, including Word docs and PDFs! Results are returned in a spreadsheet within minutes.
File Types Supported
- Word doc and docx
- HTML / Web pages
- Plain text and rich text (rtf)
File Processing Tips
- Maximum file size is 5MB. If you have a larger file, try saving it as a simpler format (like plain text).
- Uploaded files are deleted as soon as they have been processed. Results files are deleted automatically after 30 days.
How to Measure The Readability of a File
- You can upload almost any type of text file to Readable.io for scoring.
- A list of some commonly supported files is on the left.
- If you want to check if a particular type of file is supported, please get in touch.
- For each file you want to score, simply upload it using the simple upload form on the File page.
- The file is then handed off to our file processing system.
- First, your file is converted to plain text (see right), and your document structure is used to determine what is and is not a sentence.
- Next, the file is scored using our normal scoring processes.
- Finally, the results of your upload are written to a CSV file and made available for you to download.
Scoring PDFs and Word Documents
PDFs and Word documents are not all created in exactly the same way, and this can make it difficult for any piece of software to really understand them.
For each document we process, we convert it to plain text through a series of filters designed to improve the underlying structure of a PDF or Word document. This process improves the scores of the majority of documents, but not all.
To see the exact text we actually scored, please click on the text file icon under the "Tools" heading in the results table.